Silver whistle

Inspection Wales partners’ role in whistleblowing in Wales

Who should I blow the whistle to if I work in Wales?

One of the objectives of the Inspection Wales Programme is working together efficiently. A key way is to ‘share and learn’ about our internal approaches to a number of things we all do.

One example of this is whistleblowing: three of our four partners are ‘prescribed persons’ under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998 (PIDA ) [opens in new window], and all of us have people, whether employees of Welsh public bodies or members of the public, bringing us concerns. If the concerns are from members of workers, then they may (depending on what the concerns are) be classed as whistleblowing.

Whistleblowing is when a worker reports serious concerns about wrongdoing or malpractice in the workplace to someone.

All partners have mechanisms for dealing with concerns, and you can find them on our websites. But we realise it is not always easy to find who a potential whistleblower should contact in Wales. Hence our subtitle: who should I blow the whistle to if I work in Wales?

To help, we have prepared a short, simple guide to our respective responsibilities [opens in new window].

In a nutshell, if you have a concern about the NHS, Social Care, Education or value for money, fraud and corruption in relation to the provision of public services in Wales, this leaflet will help you decide which of our partners you should approach, and what you can expect to happen.

You can contact us even if you are not a worker and we will treat any such concerns seriously, but the specific protections under PIDA will not apply.

We cannot guarantee that we will keep your concern confidential or that we will investigate all concerns raised with us in detail, but we do take all approaches seriously and feed them into our collective intelligence to help us guide our work.

We hope this leaflet is helpful, and we intend it to supplement wider and more in-depth guidance on partners. More advice on our partners’ approaches:

There are also a number of external sources of advice, including the charity Public Concern at Work [Opens in new window].

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s